Tuesday, July 13, 2010

bLOveG/Mormon Woman

That is sort of blog and love all rolled into one. I do love reading them.
There are times when I start searching through blogs and one just leads to another and then another. Then I realize, holy shit Batman, where did 3 hours just disappear to?
Just read one from a mid-20s woman who was a Mormon and did the whole mission trip thing and all. Then came out as a lesbian.
I can only imagine how the patriarchal man centered Mormon religion would feel about that.
Where is a religion that is kind, supportive, empathetic and basically about feeling connected and love for other people instead of trying to direct how they live their lives?
Shouldn't a religion, or a set of shared beliefs be about supporting people for who they are and making connections rather than condemnation?
Jon Krakauer wrote an amazing book titled "Under the Banner of Heaven."
It is mostly about a splinter sect of Mormons who are also known as Fundamentalists.
It also details the history of the Mormon religion that I found to be a fascinating read.
It is also where I learned about the magic underwear.
Gotta wonder about a religion that even dictates what kind of panties you are supposed to be wearing. But maybe that is just me.......
Special drawers....celestial even....who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment